Most manufacturer or dealership warranties expire before your vehicle’s odometer clocks 100,000 miles. Unfortunately, cars become increasingly vulnerable to costly repairs with advancing age. Therefore, getting extended auto coverage is prudent if you want peace of mind amidst expensive repairs to your aging car.
However, not all vehicle dealers provide extended warranties for cars over 100k miles. Besides, companies providing this coverage have different coverage plans, mileage limits, and costs. Therefore, you should compare extensively to find a beneficial high-mileage warranty. This article ranks the top 5 high mileage warranties you should consider.
- Endurance – Best Overall
Endurance is the best overall extended warranty for cars over 100k miles for various reasons. The company has 15 years of experience, features six different warranty plans, and provides coverage for up to 200,000 miles. Below are endurance extended warranty plans:
- Supreme – best-extended car warranty for high-tech, hybrid, or commercial vehicles. They provide bumper-to-bumper coverage.
- Superior – best for car owners who don’t have comprehensive coverage.
- Secure plus – best for drivers who need immediate coverage. It features a powertrain plus coverage and has the shortest waiting period.
- Select premier – best for those who drive high-mileage vehicles.
- Secure – suitable for car owners with a limited budget
- EnduranceAdvantage – includes maintenance coverage and extended warranty.
All endurance plans have 24/7 roadside assistance, rental car reimbursement, and trip interruption coverage.
- CarShield – Best Affordable Warranty
CarShield’s extended warranty covers up to 300,000 miles, making it a viable option for anyone in need of an affordable extended warranty for cars over 100k. It is also a popular warranty provider with competitive pricing. CarShield has the following warranty plans:
- Diamond – best for new cars. It provides bumper-to-bumper coverage with very few exceptions.
- Platinum – suits high-mileage vehicles and protects most vital car parts.
- Gold – is a good option for drivers of old and unreliable vehicles.
- Silver – affordable CarShield option for those on a budget.
- Aluminum – suits high-tech vehicles. Has a unique plan for the vehicle’s electrical components, alternator, and engine control module.
- Motorcycle and ATV – best for specialty vehicles.
CarShield offers endless benefits for cars over 100k miles, especially if they have high chances of mechanical breakdown. All plans come with roadside assistance, rental car, and travel interruption reimbursement.
Carchex – Best for used vehicles
Carchex is an established extended warranty provider that offers various protection plans for cars over 100k miles. Protection plans offered by Carchex include:
- Titanium – is an exclusive plan similar to the original manufacturer’s warranty.
- Platinum – covers nearly all parts and systems of the car
- Gold – covers only major systems
- Silver – covers a few major systems and the powertrain
- Bronze – covers the transmission, drive axle, and engine.
Carchex has several additional benefits to its protection plans. Among them include network flexibility, roadside assistance, battery jump service, tow service, and rental car reimbursement.
American Auto Shield – Best for High Mileage Vehicles
You should consider the American Auto Shield if you need an extended warranty of up to 250,000 miles. If you are almost clocking 100k and intend to keep your vehicle longer, this is the best provider for its wide range of protection plans.
American Auto Shield has eight warranty plans, including:
- Diamond – exclusionary but closely resembles the manufacturer’s warranty
- Platinum – only for named components
- Deluxe – for specifically named components
- Aluminum – for named components
- Bronze – wrap coverage to complement existing auto coverage
- Tech plus – covers electronics only
- PT gold – for expanded powertrain
- Powertrain – for the powertrain
American Auto Shield can provide a warranty to vehicles aged 25 years, which is way above age limits for most companies.
Protect My Car – Best Value Extended Warranty
Protect My Car is a little-known yet excellent warranty provider for high mileage vehicles. The company stands out from other providers through its diverse plans, 125,000 miles coverage limit, and flexible payment options. While the company provides a small mileage extension compared to other providers on this list, it best suits vehicles that just crossed the 100k mile.
The company provides three extended warranty plans. They include:
- Supreme – closely resembles your manufacturer’s warranty. It is best for car owners who’ve kept their vehicles beyond the factory warranty period of 3 years.
- Select – best for vehicles above 50,000 miles. It provides similar coverage to the supreme plan, except for navigation systems and turbochargers.
- Driveline – designed for old vehicles (four to ten years) with 80,000 or more miles. It covers various components, except for the navigation, turbocharger, and suspension systems.
Protect My Car provides the same additional benefits as other third-party warranty companies.
The Bottom Line
Nearly all vehicle components give in to wear and tear after the 100k miles mark. While you should focus on the engine and drivetrain, you shouldn’t ignore replaceable parts, such as seals, bearings, gaskets, and water pumps. Such parts require a lot of attention as they can cause costly repairs. An extended warranty removes the heavy burden of paying for recurring repair costs.
Wanona Ricketts - January 28, 2023 @ 15:38
Thank you for all of this nice advice